SWIZZELS MATLOW Company History
Alfred and Maurice Matlow started Matlow Bros. Ltd. in a small factory in London in 1928, after having previously gained both practical and technical experience within the Confectionery Industry.
Production was originally confined to the manufacture of Table Jellies and Jelly type confectionery, Jolly Lollies, Cello Fruits, Milky Bars and Butternuts, but today embraces Boiled Sweets in Bags, Toffees, Chews, Sugar Free Sweets, Sugar Coated products, Puffed Cereal Lines, and Gums.
In 1933 the two brothers, together with David Dee formed Swizzels Limited, commencing in factory premises at Star Lane, Canning Town, London E.16 and in the same year moved to larger premises in Drivers Avenue, Plaistow, London E.13.
Swizzels Limited specialised in the manufacture of fizzy sweets in compressed tablet form, Dimple Mints, Navy Mints, and Cach-O's which developed into the present day nationally known range of Love Hearts, Sherbits, Fruit Fizzers, Double Lollies, Parma Violets, New Refreshers, Carlton Mints and Navy Sweets.
In 1940 both Companies, having been subjected to the effects of the 'Blitz', evacuated to a disused textile mill in New Mills, Derbyshire. The Mill, now nearly 150 years old, was rebuilt during 1883 due to a fire and is now largely used for Offices and Stores.
Steady development of business, both at home and abroad, called for considerable expansion of both production and warehouse facilities.
In 1971 a new factory extension was opened on the same site, providing an additional 107,000 sq. ft. of floor area. At the same time completely new plants for fully automated manufacture were installed.
1971 was, in fact, an eventful year for Swizzels Matlow, as Swizzels Limited was awarded the Queens Award to Industry for export achievement.
In fact, over 30% of their products are exported to more than 60 countries throughout the world
Towards the end of 1974, a further 7,000 sq. ft. of production warehousing was added and a factory extension of 40,000 sq. ft. was completed in 1978. In 1976, 85,000 sq. ft. of production and warehouse space was obtained when the old Paper Mill, known as Grove Mill, was bought. Subsequently other areas have been added.
In 1975 the Company adopted the title Swizzels Matlow Limited, to symbolise the complete integration of the two companies.
Swizzels Matlow Limited are the largest employer in the New Mills area, having a work force of over 600. The Company is still essentially a family concern. The sons of the founders are all actively involved as Directors of the Company and have now been joined by members of the third generation. Their functions are by no means rigidly defined and perhaps the secret of the success of the Company can be attributed to their versatility.
Swizzels Matlow are particularly fortunate in still having a number of employees with a life time of service with the Company.
Swizzels Matlow are still best known for the products which have been household names for many years, i.e. Love Hearts, Fizzers, Double Lollies, Navy Mints, Chews, Rainbow Drops, New Refreshers, and Drumstick Lollies to name a few.
Although methods of manufacture and their packaging have moved a long way from the old labour intensive days to today's continuous production lines, the products are still basically the same.
In 1984 the Company was honoured to receive from the British Safety Council, the "Sword of Honour" being one of only 30 Companies throughout the whole world to receive the award for having a lower accident record than any other Company in their